After decades of supplying minis and board games and all that other handy hobby stuff including a place to play them and occasionally sit around painting them or just talking about em Tin Soldier Sydney closed it's doors for the last time. I'd followed the store around the city through the years from the Dymocks Building when I 1st got into this hobby years before GW would go relatively main stream by opening it's own stores and start brainwashing little munchkins, years before Magic the Gathering and it's effects on the hobby by bringing in collectability into the hobby, it moved to the Mid City Centre across from Hobbyco when it too moved there, then it's move to Kent St and oddly next door to itself when it moved again. They've always been in pretty obscure spots that you'd never walk in to off the street but if you knew to look they always had way more stuff than the competing stores. It's already weird not being able to drop by there on a Thrursday night to just have a browse of the latest Reaper minis or the latest board game that someone had picked up and was inflicting on others to justify buying it (I know this feeling well). The chain isn't gone for good, they still have online and a store way way out west in Penrith but I'm going to miss em in the city.
February 20, 2011
February 15, 2011
My gaming group has recently gotten into MkII Warmachine so I thought I'd go back and try and get some more work on my pirate army. I converted this guy quite a while ago and he's been sitting around half painted for ages. So on a painting day on the weekend I finally got around to finishing him off. Using my older Buccaneer jack as reference I copied the corroded metals and banged up look.
Been working on this one for a while. It was actually the 1st building designed for Aetherworks but ended up taking me ages to getting around to. I experimented a bit on this one with my very old airbrush and brand new air compressor laying down the initial shading on the coloured areas of the building. I kinda went too dark though and the building was too pink rather than faded red so it took a fair few washes over the top the soften the shaded areas and to fix the colour more to my liking. After that I painted all the trim areas and door and window frames then added some good old Devlin mud for shading then drybrushed them with white. I experimented a bit in masking the building walls while doing all the drybrushing, I think it helped a bit, same goes for the floor boards which were several shades of brown. I think I may go back and put some scaled posters on the walls sometime but I'm pretty happy with the result at the moment. It looks like a good start to a street butted up against the General Store.
Cowboys gotta go somewhere. These are detailed up versions of the Aetherworks outhouse kit, with added planks on the outside made from cut up coffee stirrers and wood grain scored onto the planks with a sculpting tool. I've also added some rivets to the hinges area and a bit of wire for a door handle. For painting them it was basically a fair bit of drybrushing up through browns and greys to get a weathered left outside look to the wood and some badab black and devlin mud to darken the lines between the planks.