April 21, 2013

Riveting.... Robogear Spider

Here is another one of those Russian Robogear kits I've been curious about for years but never saw anyone do anything hugely impressive with. I always wondered what it would look like reversed  having it treat the over sized cockpit at the back as the abdomen of the spider instead of the front. So after seeing how cheap it was on ebay from Russia direct I finally ordered one.

 photo IMG_2193_zps1030d308.jpg

 photo IMG_2194_zpsca5dcdff.jpg

as you can see it arrived a bit squished but the kit inside was fine.

 photo IMG_2161_zpsbc842a14.jpg

 photo IMG_2166_zpsc0acf824.jpg

It easily snapped together. Leaving off the big spring loaded cannons on the back I saw definite potential.


 photo IMG_2184_zpsb3eedb1f.jpg

 photo IMG_2183_zps8b14e742.jpg

I decided to turn the cockpit interior into an engine bay rather than just cover it up. I cut up the window frame to keep the outer edge of it and the top bit. I added a bulkhead to cover the open area above the seat.


 photo IMG_2170_zpse100153a.jpg

 photo IMG_2171_zpsc616f173.jpg

 photo IMG_2174_zpsf5aa4847.jpg

 photo IMG_2175_zps220a800a.jpg

 photo IMG_2176_zpsc266c560.jpg

 photo IMG_2177_zps4e25b11d.jpg

 photo IMG_2180_zps0399b316.jpg

 photo IMG_2182_zps99f01d56.jpg

 photo IMG_2187_zps06bf3a96.jpg

As you can see I went a bit nuts adding slices of plastic rod rivets all over the place, plus the odd bit of plastic card to make the joins neater and look a bit more reinforced plus the addition of a steam pipe and small hatch at the back. The weapon mount for the original cannons became the engine inside the body capped off by the to of the cockpit canopy. The exhausts looking part (which looks incredibly like the exhausts from a Sentinel) became the machine guns armament at the front. It's odd how well it fits.

 photo IMG_2190_zps84fe0ce7.jpg]

If you were wondering about some sensors or eyes on the contraption I bought these to put on after I paint it.


No comments:

Post a Comment