As soon as you see the huge engine at the back of the Raider model you know it was meant to be airbrushed in some glow, they kept it pretty shallow and not very detailed. Before I started on those though I added a heap of little rectangles of masking tape on the top panels of the ship and did some grey spraying to clean up the underside where the factory wash had pooled in ugly ways and to add some variety of tone to the panels. After that I did several drybrushes of light grey then white. Then I removed all the masking tape masks. Then added shading with soft black and strong tone washes. Either tracing detail or shading a panel area then softening the edge using a q-tip. After all that I did the engine glows using ultramarine blue, arcane blue then white.
Bit of fun with the airbrush on this little guy. Primed the Beatle black and the flame parts white then sprayed them yellow. After giving them some drying time I came back with some orange and spraying from the tips inwards shaded the flames before using some red to spray the very tips, then using the same red sprayed the actual beatle.
He still needs his base done up with all those dug up rocks.
Had this one since it came out but only got around to spraying the engine glow. About time I dirtied it up some. I masked to add some stripes too since that seems popular but did mine in low contrast grey.
My friends came back from Gencon with a little something direct from Dave Taylor. His excellent mod kit for the Hot Wheels 73 Ford Falcon. With a bit of glue and putty and a strip of plastic card under the nose you too can have the most iconic of Australian movie cars :)
On pure whim and the power of cool I grabbed a Warzone Orca suit. Trying to think what to use it for since I don't play Warzone. Maybe for my Colonial Marines or for Relic Knights as a Rust Bucket for the pirates. In any case with it's almost Bioshock Big Daddy look it's a pretty cool mech. Very imposing next to every other gaming mech I had sitting around.
What you get in the box/flimsy giant blister pack
The parts are quite sharply cast and are a nice soft resin quite different from other stuffer more fragile resin I've worked with before. Reminds me of Easycast, it's easy to snip off the pour points and trim off the rest with a knife blade. Not much flash or mold slippage to deal with.
Tried blutacing it together to see what it looked like but it kept falling apart so I got out the small drill bits and pinned the top turret, missile launchers and the legs with a big pin through the hips.
Only things I dislike are the heads on the pilot and gunner and the chin gun which looks like it's in the way of the ammo belt so I trimmed it off leaving the dome it was mounted on as a gunship nose sensor dome looking thing which seems a better idea.
Had a bit of fun with the airbrush on this built Black Diamond mecha I was asked to paint up. Bit tricky to clean up since they gave it to me prebuilt so I cleaned up what I could see or get to then primed the big fella black with some army painter primer. Started off the armour with some sprayed zenithal P3 Coal Black which is a nice bluish grey colour. Then spayed the glowing blue areas ultramarine blue followed by arcane blue then a touch of white. Then went back and added some shade back in with Matt black. After that was in came the fun stuff the glowy plasma axe. I started by masking the figure with glad warp around everything but the axe and hit it with a can of white primer after trying to airbrush on white wasn't giving me the coverage I wanted. After a bit of drying time I sprayed the axe Model Air medium yellow then after painting the back of the axe mechanical stuff and handle Cryx Bane base for a greenish tinged grey colour to be a touch different from the rest of the mech. Then I got out the Model Air Bloody Red and sprayed the back edge of the blade to give a nice gradient then did some lighting glow on all faces of the mech facing the blade. Very happy with the result. After that I repainted the glowing blue parts Arcane Blue again and edged them in white. Then edged much of the mecha panels in Ash grey and some shade with Cryx Bane before adding a few metallic areas then hit them wth dark tone wash. Pretty happy with the final result. He needs a fancy base now.