October 5, 2012

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! McMourning Crew

My friend Andrew spotted a Miss Pack in the MOAB bring and buy, I'd been wanting one for a while and getting her was the tipping point to finally get a McMourning starter set. I've loved the Frankenstein theme since I first saw the set but the very crappy looking monster always put me off. The solution to that was the very nice model of "The Being" from Vesper's game Carnevale which Aetherworks had for sale as well.

So I grabbed the starter set and some 30, 40 and 50mm morgue base inserts as well as the Being and got to work. After a bunch of clipping off base tabs and seeing which mini looks good on which base I got the idea to save the Flesh Construct from the McMourning set. The problems with the model start with the proportions, he's been sculpted like an orc with a hunched posture, a fat body, long chunky arms and short legs, also he has a ridiculous face. In short he'd be a fixer upper to make him workable.

I started off with hunting for a new head. I was sure I had some left overs from GW zombies somewhere. The surprise was I managed to find them. The head I was after was the severed head, it's slack face and half closed eyes were perfect.

Photobucket

Photobucket

 I hacked off the old head and pinned on the new one then filled in the gap for the neck, sculpted on neck bolts and added some putty to the top of his head to give him a bigger forehead with stitching across it that classic Frankenstein monster flat top hair.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That improved the model so I tried putting him at the top of the stairs base to even out his height compared to the Carnevale model. It took a day to realise he was still too short and the problem was in his thighs, they were just way too short. I used a razor saw to hack off his legs just above the knees and tried to not destroy his clothes in the process.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I used wire to extend the legs to what appeared the correct height then added on rolls of putty to resculpt the legs. I beefed up the top of the calves and sculpted in all new thighs including some nice big stitched area, actually I hacked into the models arms and legs in a few places to add scars and stitch marks. In the end he's not quite as nice or as tall as my alt figure but I think he's usable now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here is the whole crew including a Bete Noire I found I had in a draw, I may add in some Guild Autopsies I picked up a while ago too. Guess I need more morgue base inserts to bring them all together.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice and interesting conversion.
    And creepy crew :-)

    ReplyDelete